FSA Statement on Damascus Bombings
The following statement was published by the FSA and picked up by the website of the Damascus Declaration. It was translated from the original Arabic by Fady Mqayed.
The illegitimate Syrian regime continues to kill & target unarmed civilians through bombings in Damascus and other cities. Today’s bombings in ‘Qazaz are nothing but another desperate attempt from the regime to support its claims regarding the existence of “terrorists” and “armed gangs”.
It has been conclusively proven that these bombings are perpetrated by the illegitimate regime, and we request the following to be taken into consideration -
- The bombings took place after Mr. Annan’s recent statements, which suggested that the Syrian regime may not be adhering to the six-point peace plan and shoulders the responsibility for its failure, in the event the plan collapses.
- The Free Syrian Army does not possess the necessary capability to conduct such bombings.
- A car containing bodies of detainees was found on the site of the event, and it was later discovered that it was brought to the affected area.
- The speed in which state-affiliated news agencies arrived on the scene and provided live coverage of the event.
- The Free Syrian Army is incapable of reaching the site of the explosions, as it is a heavily-guarded security complex.
- The summoning of UNSMIS mission chief, Gen. Mood to the site of the explosions in order for him to give statements that may serve the claims of Syrian regime.
- The Free Syrian Army defected from the illegitimate regime in order to protect civilians, not to inflict harm upon them.
Therefore, we condemn this cowardly terrorist act and hold the regime fully responsible for it. We request that the UN form a team of international experts to investigate these bombings, and ask Mr. Annan to declare the failure of his peace plan, and to hold the regime accountable for its failure. We also request the arming of the Free Syrian Army and request an emergency UN meeting, so a chapter 7 resolution facilitating the protection of Syrian civilians can be passed.
- Military Council of Damascus & Rural Damascus